Warm weather is so nice, but the flies that come with it just make me nuts. I hate them! It’s a challenge to keep flies away from food and drinks, especially if you’re eating outside.
Nothing can ruin a picnic or a cookout for me like a bunch of flies all over everything. I can’t eat!
I’ve done some homework and found 10 really effective things you can do to keep flies away and make sure your outdoor events aren’t spent chasing them away with a swatter.
1. When I saw this tip to keep flies away, it kind of blew my mind. It’s so smart, and it looks really easy to do.
2. Just like the idea above, this fly repellent works on the same principle but is a little prettier.
3. Put a few small dishes around your table that contain drops of fly-repelling essential oils like: Lavender, Lemongrass, or Peppermint. You could also try this fly bait that’s supposed to work really well. It draws flies to it and then captures them.
4. Turn a fan on high and keep it pointed toward the space where you’ll be serving and eating food. Flies aren’t likely to try and battle a tornado to get a taste of your sweet tea. This fan attaches to your tabletop with a clip and has an adjustable head.
5. Make your own reusable food covers to protect from flies now and years to come. Love this idea.
6. Cut open a lemon, put a few cloves on top and leave them sitting in a bowl. This is a simple and good smelling way to keep the flies away.
7. Having a backyard barbecue? Use cupcake liners on your drink glasses to keep the little vermin out.
8. A perfect solution for an outdoor event that’s a little more upscale are these super cute beverage covers. They’d be great for a wedding reception that’s held outdoors!
9. Flies apparently don’t like vodka the way humans do. Go figure. Put some inexpensive vodka in a spray bottle and give your picnic table the once over. before the food is served.
10. A frugal and effective fly trap can be made for about 25 cents. The Wild Domestic has the easy how-to.